Solocuivre S.A. Societé Lorraine de Forges et Fonderies de Cuivre was founded in Thionville in 1935 purely as a sales company for Saar-Metallwerke GmbH. At the time, the Lorraine region’s iron and steel industry was supplied with water-cooled copper fittings from Saarbrücken.
The new company was intended to contribute to securing customers and further expanding sales on the French market.
After the Second World War, the shareholders of Saar-Metallwerke GmbH considered it necessary to have their own production facility in France. Accordingly, in March 1958, the “Sarreguemines / Moselle” works were built and the head office of the former sales company Solocuivre S. A. was relocated from Thionville to Sarreguemines. While forged products – especially tuyères for blast furnaces – were henceforth manufactured in Sarreguemines, Saarbrücken continued to be home to the production of the cast parts.
Over the subsequent three decades, Solocuivre SARL steadily developed into an important manufacturer of forged and machined copper parts. In addition to supplying the parent company with preliminary forged products, the company still supplies the French iron and steel industry, which constitutes its second main group of customers. Furthermore, the business in preforged and machined shading rings for electric motors has been steadily expanded and developed in recent years.